Jon Peddie Research AMD leads GPU sales due to console APU


Jon Peddie Research AMD leads GPU Specs
Jon Peddie Research AMD leads GPU

Jon Peddie Research’s market researchers have published statistics on the sales of AMD graphics chips. Accordingly, the company delivered about 553 million Gpus between 2013 and 2019. More than half of the chips are processor-integrated solutions, including the Apus for Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

Apus for PC and consoles leads AMD to GPU quantities


While Intel is a clear leader in integrated graphics chips (iGPU) and Nvidia is dominant in standalone graphics chips (discrete, dGPU), only AMD offers both and is ahead of its competitors in cumulative GPU sales over the past six years, is stated in the current JPR report, which does not provide any comparison values of Intel and Nvidia.

When compared to Intel (integrated only) or Nvidia (discrete only) both companies beat AMD in their respective classes, but overall AMD beats them both.

To the guidance helps AMD the business with processors for the game consoles Microsoft Xbox and Sony Playstation, which were equipped in the considered period exclusively with AMD Apus, ie processors with integrated Radeon GPU. The Playstation 4 and its offshoots alone are expected to account for 20 percent of AMD Gpus, and at least nine percent of the AMD Gpus will go to Xbox One and its derivatives. Both game consoles were released at the end of 2013 and are said to have sold over 150 million units, as AMD announced at the Financial Analyst Day in March 2020.

The upcoming Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles will also be powered by AMD Apus with Radeon graphics, bringing back strong growth in GPU sales.

AMD’s GPU sales from 2013 to 2019 by segment


AMD’s GPU sales from 2013 to 2019 by segment (Image: Jon Peddie Research)
The statistics also show that the console business means that the integrated graphics solutions have a larger share of AMD’s GPU sales than the chips for stand-alone Radeon graphics cards. Gpus for desktop graphics cards (18 percent) and for notebooks (18 percent) come together on 36 percent share. Integrated Gpus for desktop processors (12 percent) and notebook processors (23 percent) together account for 35 percent. In the PC business, the dGPUs are thus just ahead of the iGPUs. But if the console chips are added, the integrated solutions account for 64 percent, almost two-thirds of AMD’s GPU sales in the years 2013 to 2019.

Radeon for smartphones to be added in 2021


Another pillar for AMD’s GPU sales is expected to be added next year: In partnership with Samsung, smartphone processors (Exynos Soc) will receive an integrated Radeon graphics solution from AMD in the future. JPR assumes that these will be delivered next year in very high quantities.

Next year AMD will be able to add Samsung smartphones to its list of platforms, and those numbers are going to huge.

Global GPU sales in the first quarter of 2020


Jon Peddie Research also published figures on the PC GPU market in the first quarter of 2020. Accordingly, sales decreased by 5.3 percent compared to the previous quarter, but increased by 14.9 percent year-on-year. JPR speaks of a stabilization of the market in times of the corona crisis.


  • AMD’s overall unit shipments decreased by -16.6% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments increased by 0.5% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s decreased -13.6%.
  • The overall attach rate of Gpus to Pcs for the quarter, including integrated and discrete Gpus, which was 166% which was up 35.9% from last quarter.
  • The attach rate for discrete Gpus in Pcs was 36.0% for the quarter, which is a 4.15% increase over the previous quarter.
  • The overall PC market decreased by -25.76% quarter-to-quarter and decreased -10.03% year-to-year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (Aibs) that use discrete Gpus decreased -19.53% from last quarter.
  • Q1'20 saw a decrease in tablet shipments from last quarter.

 While the above figures include both dGPUs and iGPUs, a graph shows the market share of dGPUs in the first quarter of 2020 shared by Nvidia with 75 percent and AMD with 25 percent. Intel will soon also be mentioned in this segment, after all, the company wants to present its first stand-alone graphics cards with its own Xe architecture during the year.

Previous Post Next Post